The Higher Education Reform Project (Loan 2766-MON), implemented by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Science and Sports (MECSS) and financed by Asian Development Bank (ADB), aims to deliver outputs on improving (i) quality and relevance of higher education programs; (ii) effectiveness of higher education management, financing, and governance; and (iii) equity and access to higher education. The project impact will be increased number of globally competitive higher education graduates that are adequately skilled to the needs of the labor market. The project outcome will be an improved, well-managed, and equitable higher education system. More information about the project can be obtained from http://www.adb.org/projects/43007-023/main.
The Social Development Specialist will be a full-time staff of the Project Implementation Unit (PIU) stationed in Ulaanbaatar, and report to the Project Coordinator. The Specialist will ensure the proper planning, preparation, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of the project activities from a gender perspective, and ensure implementation of all activities listed in the project Gender Action Plan (GAP).
A. Scope of Work
The main duties and responsibilities of the Social Development Specialist will include the following tasks, but the Specialist is expected to perform any other tasks in the areas of responsibilities as deemed necessary. S/he will perform the assigned tasks under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator and guidance of the Project Director designated by the MECSS, and work in close collaboration with the ADB project team.
Specifically, the Social Development Specialist will:
· Implement the project Gender Action Plan;
· Ensure integration of gender and social aspects in the implementation of all project outputs;
· Ensure gender mainstreaming in the project activities as relevant, namely, access to higher education, distance education, curriculum review and development, governance and management reforms of higher education institutions (HEIs), higher education management information system, labor market, competitive grants, accreditation and quality assurance and others;
· Develop action plans (monthly, quarterly and annual) on gender and social aspects of the project in consultation with the MECSS’ relevant departments/divisions and working groups;
· Monitor and evaluate progress and achievements of gender and social aspects of the project by collecting the gender-related data related to the performance indicators/targets of the GAP and Design Monitoring Framework;
· Prepare the monthly, quarterly and annual reports on progress of the GAP activities which include a qualitative assessment of the project practical and strategic gender benefits, as relevant;
· Develop mechanisms and instruments to collect sex-disaggregated data of the project interventions including beneficiaries’ data disaggregated by gender, living standards, and rural/urban areas;
· Support the MECSS and ADB in reviewing the project implementation by providing data and information on the project GAP implementation;
· Coordinate and monitor performances of the consultants and gender working group, and ensure timely completion of deliverables;
· Support the procurement of goods, services and consulting services related to the GAP implementation;
· Plan, coordinate, monitor and analyze the progress and outputs/outcomes of the capacity building activities in collaboration with the Research and Training Specialist;
· Guide, assist, coordinate, and monitor project activities to be conducted among target higher education institutes and prepare progress reports as needed;
· Facilitate partnership and collaboration among local HEIs, between local & international HEIs, and between HEIs and industries;
· Ensure that the project activities are closely coordinated with the projects in the higher education subsector implemented by other development partners; and
· Provide interpretation and translation services, as needed.
B. Required Qualifications, Skills and Expertise
The applicant must possess and demonstrate the following qualifications:
· Minimum bachelor’s degree, preferably master’s in gender or development studies, human rights, and other relevant disciplines;
· Minimum of 3 years’ experience in gender equity and mainstreaming;
· Sound knowledge on gender mainstreaming in education sector;
· In-depth knowledge of the Mongolian education system, and solid understanding of relevant government policies in higher education;
· Minimum of 2 years’ experience in project management and implementation, experience working for projects financed by ADB and other international development agencies will be an advantage;
· A solid understanding of project implementation policies and procedures adhered by the Government and ADB is an advantage;
· Ability to think strategically and translate idea into plans and actions;
· Excellent communication, interpersonal and team work skills; and
· Strong oral and written Mongolian and English proficiency.
C. Application Submission Procedure
Interested candidates should submit an application consisting of the following documents, prepared in English language:
- Cover letter (maximum two pages) explaining the reasons for applying to the position, describing how the candidate’s qualification, skills and work experiences meet the selection criteria
- Curriculum vitae
- One reference letter from the previous employer, and
- Copies of all diplomas and certificates
All documents should be enclosed in a sealed envelope that indicates the applied position, and hand delivered to the specified person at MECSS by 5pm of 22 November 2017. Please note that the submitted documents will not be returned to the applicants.
Only the short-listed candidates will be contacted and asked to (i) have a job interview with the MECSS’ selection committee; and (iii) provide proof of work experience and original copies diplomas and certificates at the interview.
Attn: Ms. M.Enkhee, MECSS Specialist
The Ministry of Education, Culture, Science and Sports of Mongolia
Government Building III, Baga Toiruu 44
5th Floor/ Room# 505
Ulaanbaatar city, Mongolia
Tel: 976-51-263449, 976-70007263, 976-70007264